Sunday, August 15, 2010

Slacking Off

I signed up on another staffing group website--The Creative Group. I'm hoping for a copyediting job. With professional experience editing, I could eventually freelance and dictate my own schedule.

I received a strange call from a man claiming he was casting for a traveling children's show. He sent me to a website that showed an impressive track record, and a presence in Canada, the US, England, Australia, and new Zealand. He said the show paid $500/week, and gave me a rough sketch of what cities it would tour between now and November.

Here are the weird parts:

In the series of usual point-blank questions (have you ever been convicted of a felony? etc) he asked if I had at least one working credit card.

He asked if I had couches to crash on in the cities he mentioned. Sure, I do have a few couches in Philly and DC, but certainly not for three weeks at a time. A touring production with no housing budget?

He said he would audition me over the phone, to make sure I could enunciate well. He said to expect a sample dialogue in my email. I checked it that afternoon, and found a paragraph from a gossip website detailing Lindsay Lohan's trip to jail. Not quite the material I expected for children's theater.

My best guess is that he's ripped off this company's show and is trying to perform it at a discount. I gave him an excuse; I told him a film I had signed on for would still be shooting during the tour dates he gave me.
I'm contemplating sending an email to the general info address listed on the theater company's website. It all sounds a bit fishy to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment