Thursday, July 29, 2010

And the Novelty Factor Decreases

At this point, it would seem I'm not getting any bites on any of the direct applications I sent out last week. Also, I haven't heard from either of the Equity plays previously courting me. Damn.

My callback for the Stiletto Singers went very well. They seem like a good group with a solid business plan. Fingers crossed for that.

I've landed a screen test to be a corporate spokesmodel. While I doubt it would pay all the bills, it would be consistent paying work.

As far as open auditions go, there's a murder mystery show opening in Lexington, and a production of Doubt--but its all the way in Marlborough. The stipend would be eaten by gas, and probably then some.

Let's take this opportunity to examine Maya's Rules of Paid and Unpaid Performance Work:
1) No unpaid theater, unless Equity points are involved.

2) No unpaid film, unless I am 99% sure it will be usable demo reel material.

3) "Deferred Pay" can see above rules. When I meet anyone with a check in hand from deferred film pay, I will reconsider my options.

Oh, Maya, you say. Aren't you cutting yourself of from roles? What about student films? You never know who will be successful!

You're right. I don't. I already have several student films on my resume, and am slated to be in at least one more next week. However, as students are learning their craft, elements of presentation can suffer. An excellent script does me little good if the lighting is distractingly bad, and I am only shown from awkward, unflattering angles. If I can't use it on a demo reel, at this point its not a good investment of my time.

1 comment: