Thursday, July 22, 2010

A New Blog, you say?

As some of you may have heard, I've recently lost my day job to re-mapping and consolidation of territories. This leaves me with some free time on my hands, so I've started a blog. In said blog, I'll be detailing the drama, tribulations and excitement in my quests for a new job, as well as the ongoing search for performance work.

So. Out of a day job, what's a non-union blonde to do? Let's weigh some options.

1) Search for a new job in retail merchandising. Pros: Flexible schedule, and reasonable money. Cons: Lots of time in an aging car, usually fewer hours than promised. Also to consider: previous merchandising job was acquired by a series of flukes.

2) Get back into promotions work. Pros: I can take work as I see fit, and design my own schedule. Cons: Flaky bosses and co-workers, lots of drama, no guarantee of work past the summer.

3) Pursue Bartending again. Pros: Good money to be made. Cons: Nocturnal schedule that will be in the way of any theater work to be had, and having next to no experience.
(For those of you following along at home, I actually had a nightmare about working at the Blue Shamrock last night. No joke.)

4)Search for work writing and/or editing. Pros: Potential to freelance, work from home. Cons: No professional experience, and most writing samples were lost in the great hard drive death of Oh-Nine.

5) Step it up, and make acting and modeling pay the bills. Pros: MA tax incentive, construction of soundstage on the South shore (no, not that one, a much smaller, but real soundstage.) Cons: Next to impossible. Need that damn SAG card and a better portfolio.

Conclusion: Pursue all of the above until leads arise. Or until I pass out from exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment